Organizations > Masten Space Systems
Masten Space Systems
473 Sapena Court
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Investors and Media Inquiries: (678) 581-9656
David Masten, President: (415) 244-9171
Michael Mealling, VP of Business Development: email@example.com
Jonathan Goff, Engineer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sean Lynch, Infrastructure Architect: email@example.com
Pierce Nichols, Engineer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Masten Space Systems is developing a line of Vertical Takeoff and Vertical Landing (VTVL) launch vehicles that provide reduced costs and a larger range of mission options by focusing on development and operational processes that ensure speed to market, extremely fast turn around times, and an almost retail purchasing experience.
The principles the company uses to build these development process and which inform the entire design process are:
- The product development timeline moves from unmanned suborbital cargo delivery to manned orbital vehicles in an incremental way that ensures reliable revenue streams. This creates cost savings for the customer by funding development on a "pay as you go" basis instead of passing all up front development costs to the customer.
- Customers are included in the development process as much as possible, ensuring that products and services that are relevant to customer's needs are delivered at speeds that match, rather than drive, their speed to market requirements.
- Technology development follows mission requirements, not the other way around. It is Masten Space System's philosophy to use only those systems required to execute delivery of the product or service in any element of the product line. If there is no need for a pilot to be a part of a given product line, then the customer isn't required to pay for one.
- Masten prides itself in its openness and accessibility. The company intends its purchasing process to be an almost retail experience. At the same time, the openness of the company and its processes will help build a relationship with its customers and the public that extends beyond the actual delivery of products and services.
- The VTVL approach enables cost savings from operations and launch site access that apply directly to the customer's bottom line and enable economies of scale not available with other systems.
These philosophies are what allow Masten Space Systems to deliver low cost access to space sooner rather than later.
Updated: January 5, 2008